Monday, April 28, 2008

Talk Amongst Yourselves

Let me paint this scene for you. Last Friday, Bishop Dunne held its Senior Prom, a wonderful affair filled with butt grinding and teachers (read: me and Ms. B - are we that old?!?) standing around the perimeter not dancing and missing the Backer like the deserts of Africa! miss the rain. We were able to convince the students that we would only dance to 1 song of our choosing. After much debate, we settled on 2 requests: "I Wanna Dance with Somebody" by Whitney Houston or "Ignition (Remix)" by the great Robert Sylvester Kelly. Although the student DJ claimed that he got Ignition from the Tooth Fairy or his 13th birthday party, he never played it, and Ms. B and I never hit the dance floor (Angelo, no use prepping that lawsuit).

I bring up prom only to accurately describe what happened today, The Monday After Prom (TMAP). TMAP has become Senior Skip Day, and faced with ONE senior and 3 juniors out of a class of 26, I was faced with only one option that an ACE teacher could consider: show Rudy. And show Rudy, I did.


Here's a free tip for those of you like me who tend to get worked up over things: Be careful where and when you watch Rudy. I found myself at multiple scenes blinking away some of the dust in the room. Not only was there the traditional time to get choked up ("My son's going to Notre Dame!"), I found myself waxing nostalgic over an SDH shot, a view of the Grotto, video/audio of the ND band, TD Jesus, and even O'Shag (well, maybe not that, but Waddick's did serve a great green tea). Needless to say, when Mr. Ruettiger walks into ND stadium and says, "This is the most beautiful sight these eyes have ever seen", I had to have my back to the kids writing the night's homework on the board (yes, I gave homework on Senior Skip Day). Thank God the lights were off and 3 of the 4 students were asleep or texting or probably reading this blog on their iPhones.

Anyone up for a summer visit? Otherwise, 130 days until kickoff ...

No comments: